Saturday, December 14, 2019

Home Sweet Home


One of the thoughts foremost on my mind is a concern about what will be different with my relationship with my parents when I go back home for break. This worry is based on the idea that everyone has doubles of themselves that exist in the minds of others because of how they express themselves and are therefore perceived differently by those around them. For example, my professors see me as a different person than my friends do, and my parents see me as a different person than both my professors and my friends. In high school, I definitely acted differently at home than I did at school. Here, I don’t ever have to use my “home persona”, if you will. Especially being so far from home, I feel as though I have changed a lot. I’m a little anxious to see how my relationship with my parents will be different now that I have become more independent and I am used to being able to make choices about what I do and when without having to consult anyone or let them know my plans. My parents still think of me as the person I was senior year of high school, and while I haven’t become a completely different person, I have changed in ways they have not seen, and therefore they do not perceive me as the person I see myself as now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Home Sweet Home

One of the thoughts foremost on my mind is a concern about what will be different with my relationship with my parents when I go back ho...